365 Grateful

by Tania Ginoza on June 18, 2014 · 15 comments

Today is my birthday and for the first time in my adulthood, I am unequivocally alone and single. My relationship status on its own is not pivotal, however that combined with a transformed perception toward life, love and the future is. In the past few years I ended an increasingly tumultuous relationship, simplified my lifestyle and set goals that exceed my prior beliefs of what is possible. I see opportunity and freedom in my solitude. I am free to look inward, grow and change without compromise. Part of the simplifying process is feeling and expressing gratitude for what we already have. If we do not appreciate what is already present, it is easy to lose focus on what is ultimately important. Living simply with gratitude is key to living intently. Until we live with intention, it is easy to merely coast through life or stray from what we value.

To celebrate this birthday, I am embarking on a year long project, a daily practice of gratitude and reflection. Instagram is my favorite social media platform and I will be sharing an image each day with a note of appreciation. Some days will be deep and soulful while others may just be a pretty little or silly thing that caught my eye or made me smile. As I searched for gratitude projects online I stumbled upon 365 Grateful. Hailey Bartholomew, a filmmaker and photographer in Australia did just that in 2008 after meeting with a life coach who advised her the secret to happiness is reflection and gratitude. Self-reflection and gratitude can lead us down a positive path. On the flip side, those who do not reflect and appreciate their present are more likely to engage in poor life decisions as a result of their discontent. Hailey found the simple act of daily gratitude improved her marriage, spirituality and health.

I’ll be posting with the hashtags #mauishopgirl365 and #365Grateful. Please feel free to join me (and tag me) at any time. Your 365 can start on whatever day you wish. You can also follow my daily gratitude posting on Instagram – MauiShopGirl.

To read more about Hailey’s 365 project and film, visit 365 Grateful.

If you would like to embark on 365 days of gratitude but Instagram is not your thing, here are a few other options:

• A gratitude journal
  • A daily tweet or facebook status update
  • A scrapbook or sketch pad
  • Chalkboard or white board on your desk or in your kitchen
  • An email to a loved one or group of friends
  • A phone app
  • Jot your daily gratitude down on a small slip of paper to fill a mason or cookie jar.
  • On origami or craft paper to be displayed

Also feel free to share what you are feeling grateful for today in the comments below.

Video via 365 Grateful on YouTube.

Kelly Ospina June 19, 2014

Hi Tania, happy birthday! I love this idea, I tend to stress way too much over what might or might not happen later, to the point I forget to appreciate what is happening now. Good luck on your journey and thank you for sharing it with all of us. Wishing you many moments of joy today and always.

Tania Ginoza July 23, 2014

Since I started the 365 project Kelly, I have noticed my mood has lifted. Even if something crappy happened at work or otherwise, finding the item for my daily gratitude often turned my mood around.

lisacng @ expandng.com June 19, 2014

Happy birthday!!!!!!!!!!!! Have you watched the documentary “Happy”? It taught me that we have to practice happiness everyday, like we have to exercise that part of the brain or it fades away. Me, being an engineer, really loved the technical side of that ;). That said, I’ve been practicing happy by choosing to be, and choosing not to be bitter or angry. It’s helped tremendously, especially on weekends when my kids get me up too early ;). I loved the video you shared and how she kinda fell in love with her husband all over again through the project. I hope I will follow along to yours on IG but I’m not on everyday.

Roxanne Darling June 19, 2014

Woohoo! Sounds like a great plan Tania. I too like the functional aspects of gratitude more than the moral aspects of it. It just works! I keep finding that being grateful for the shitty things actually is what helps me regain my consciousness when I am feeling like the world (or people in it!) are against me. It helps me take something of value out of even difficult times.

Happy Birthday Single Lady!

Tania Ginoza July 23, 2014

I find the science behind practices like gratitude so interesting. What happens in our brain from a scientific aspect when we redirect our thoughts and focus. Feeling better when we change our mindset isn’t “all in our minds” per se. I’ve been reading quite a bit about the branch of psychology, Positive Psychology, and it pulls together what I’ve always thought were soft topics into something more concrete.

Nita June 19, 2014

You go….. Life is so wonderful when you are truly doing what you love and loving what you do. May your path be always growing. :)

Tania Ginoza July 23, 2014

Thank you so much!

save. spend. splurge. June 19, 2014

Happy Birthday! I am wistful for the past when I was single (for fleeting moments), as I don’t think I really took advantage or profited from not being with someone (I’m a serial monogamist).

I love this gratitude idea, and will vicariously live through you :)

Tania Ginoza July 23, 2014

I’m a serial monogamist too, which is why I’m not going to put myself out there for awhile. I’d really like to be alone for a bit and I tend to fall into relationships quite easily. The end of my recent was also quite traumatic and stressful, need my head in order before I bring anyone else in.

Carrie June 19, 2014

Happy birthday! For several years two friends and I have made a practice of exchanging e-mails (if not daily, weekly) that list what we are thankful for. Since we live far apart, it’s a nice way to stay in touch and it’s a great practice to stop and take a moment to appreciate something. I really like your idea of using Instagram to document your year.
Last year I even took the practice of gratitude into my classroom … we celebrated 12 Days of Thankfulness leading up to Thanskgiving.

Tania Ginoza July 23, 2014

I love both of those ideas!

Laurie July 3, 2014

Hi Tania, Happy late Birthday. I loved the video and the idea is a great one. Not sure I can do it everyday but will definitely be trying and following along!

Tania Ginoza July 23, 2014

Thanks Laurie! Hope all is well! I find that you always appreciate daily beauty in your posts and pictures.

Tania Ginoza July 23, 2014

Me too! Can’t wait to see you again. I hope you enjoyed your time on Maui.