Flight 001

by Tania Ginoza on July 2, 2013 · 16 comments

I’ve just returned from vacay in hot and sweaty DC and realized this former frequent flyer is out of practice. My packing and planning skills are rusty and I need a reboot. So, welcome to travel week at MauiShopGirl! Please have your boarding passes and ID ready.

The most difficult thing about living in Hawaii is rock fever. Of course, we can hop in a car and go where the road takes us. The problem is that road won’t take us very far. No matter how long we drive, we will still be on a rock in the middle of the Pacific. When we do venture to the big rock, the mainland, it’s a long haul. My recent travel included a five hour flight to California, another long flight to Chicago and a final leg to DC. Flying is tough so we need to do what we can to be comfortable and efficient but more importantly, we need to keep our sense of humor.

Enter Flight 001, da best cheeky travel gear site ever…
Flight001 Stowaway Pouch

I’m a huge pouch proponent. Pouches are a perfect way to separate the contents of your purse or everyday bag. I use one pouch for tech, another for personal care and another for my keys. Pouches are also a great way to keep your gear organized while traveling so you don’t flash your panties for any longer than necessary  as you attempt to retrieve an essential from your carryon. Flight 001 has a ton of cute pouches. My pick is this tangerine flightspeak but I also loved the shakespeare boarding pass, let’s get high tongue in cheek and I’m a survivor versions.

Flight001 Eyemask Black

I’m always on the lookout for cute eye masks, which come in handy on the homefront to block out any electronic lights or early sunlight in the boudoir. On a red eye, masks are key to discourage any awkward conversation starters with your fellow fliers. Nothing says don’t speak to me like an eye mask. I thought this one was the most appropriate for my big honker but also loved the cabin fever and I sleep with strangers masks in their in flight comfort category.

Flight001 Backpack

I’m usually more partial to duffle bags and totes but can see the benefit of a backpack when exiting a plane while fighting off hundreds of impatient LET ME OUTTA HERE passengers who have no issues with pushing their way past the elderly, injured and small children in the aisle. This bag is so happy, so citrus and can hold a 15 inch Macbook. Flight 001 has a full selection of hand carry bags to meet your fancy here.

Flight001 Drink

Is it just me or do you feel like all the hydration was sucked out of you by aliens before the plane has even taken off? Sure, you can buy a bottled water in the airport if you’ve got ten bucks to spare but I prefer to carry a refillable. I love this folding bottle because it reminds me of one of my favorite destinations. If you prefer a bottle with a filter, you’ll find that here too.

All images via Flight 001′s online shop.

So, what do you haul in your under the seat carryon? Here’s my short list:

• A magazine, preferably something fun and frivolous
  • Pouch with a Kindle or iPad, earbuds and charging gear (many airports have a few outlets available if you can beat the teens, suits and hipsters to it)
  • Ziplock with eye drops, extra contacts, lip stuff, face cleanser, toothbrush and moisturizer
  • Pouch with hard candies, cough drops, ginger chews, Airborne, electrolyte drink powder and Mini Babybel
  • The Nomad wrap by the now defunct Fluxus brand (a huge soft jersey wrap, which can be worn as a scarf or opened up as a travel blanket, as featured on Oprah a few years ago)
  • Uggs
  • Pen to complete the State of Hawaii Agriculture Declaration form
  • Tissues

Shalagh Hogan July 3, 2013

No wonder I have been thinking of you so hard recently. Because you were an hour away from me. The bad news is, you were an hour’s drive away and I didn’t know it. I am very sad. But I hope your trip went well. Please promise to let me know if there’s ever a next time. I won’t be traveling to my cousin’s wedding in Denver in Aug. because I’ll just be weaning Fiona. Makes me twitch because I too love to travel. Although I don’t have any cool gear like you. Talk at me soon.
Love,
Shalagh

Tania Ginoza July 3, 2013

Oh shit! I didn’t realize you were so close. I did meet up with Lisa of expandng. She drove in, preggers and all, and we had a lovely brunch. There may be a next time because I really would love to spend more time there. We did quite a bit but I didn’t see the Declaration of Independence, go on a Capitol tour or get my foodie on. It was so hot, we probably did more meals in the hotel and felt wiped out sooner than we would in a cooler season (I was with my dad and auntie who are in their 70s/60s plus I’m still not 100% healthwise either). My cousin lives there, he works for NPR and we went for his wedding.

Shalagh Hogan July 3, 2013

I wished I’d seen you but I’m glad you got to see your cousin get married. And yes, it’s humid here. Where does your friend live and what’s her blog ? And I just had a baby so she may enjoy a post or two of mine.
Love,
Shalagh

Tania Ginoza July 3, 2013

She comments here regularly as lisacng so you can see her link on her comment on my previous post too. This will be her second baby.

Shalagh Hogan July 4, 2013

I will check her out. My second baby too. First at 38. Second at 46. Hope you are recooperated and have a fresh perspective after your trip.
Love,
Shalagh

Ihilani July 3, 2013

Love this company! I had no idea they existed. I have no plans to hop over to the big rock (or any other little rocks) in the near future, but I want this stuff just because! You always find the companies that make the most awesome things. I’ll have to remember for the next time I fly far…which probably won’t be for a while (thank goodness.)

Tania Ginoza July 3, 2013

I’ve been an admirer of Flight 001 for years, just looking at their gear makes me smile. I’m pretty sure I went to their store in San Fran years ago, before online shopping was such a thing. I used to go San Fran quite a bit for training when I worked as a CPA.

They’ve got cool stuff for the stay at home set too. The pouches and pill cases could be used in a handbag and their “bags” section has great choices to tote stuff around for the everyday.

I don’t fly much either anymore but will probably do a Honolulu trip later this year.

Inge@SimplyFabulousChic July 4, 2013

How cute are these pouches and the eye masks! Never heard of the brand before, but boy did I wish I heard of them when I travelled to the USA a few years ago. These cute pouches would come in handy. I’m always the most unorganized traveller… I try to squeeze in as much as possible in my handbag, then I have to look for hours in it to find something back, so these pouches are so simple, cute and so handy! Why didn’t I think of them before to use?? :-D
Thanks for sharing, looks soooo cute!
Love, Inge x

Tania Ginoza July 4, 2013

I’ve gone through stages. Sometimes very efficient and minimal when traveling and other times I bring waaayy too much stuff. This past trip I was the latter, so out of practice and really unsure about what I needed in DC.

The pouch thing really works for me even every day. I change bags a lot depending on what I’m wearing so I just move my pouches from one bag to the next.

Thanks for stopping by Inge!

lisacng @ expandng.com July 5, 2013

Your friend Shalagh DID contact me! I have to return her email!!!

Tania, you find the cooooolest stuff! I love these cheeky pouches and goodness knows, a mom certainly needs pouches and compartments! Tks so much for the recs. LOL on the “I sleep with strangers” mask. The double meaning is pretty hilarious.

Larissa T. July 10, 2013

Such perfect timing! I’m flying out tomorrow morning and was forgetting some things (like pens!) I hope you had a fun and safe trip! :)

P.S. Would you like to link up?

Tania Ginoza July 25, 2013

I hope you had a good trip Larissa. Sorry I didn’t respond earlier. I haven’t been well so blogging has fallen by the wayside but I’ll be sure to hop by and check out your linkup real soon.

noreen July 14, 2013

Hello Tania –
The backpack is it. Very cool. Also, I love your pouch idea, as I’m always shuffling in my bag for something important that I’m afraid is lost. Very cute eye covers! I’d go for “Cabin Fever” every time.

I love to travel, and by that I mean – get there. It’s hard to SIT long enough to go overseas. So welcome home. I hope you had a lovely adventure, and no more long flights for a while. Joy to you, N.

Tania Ginoza July 25, 2013

I hate the actual traveling part too! Even more now. Used to travel a ton when I was younger and I don’t think I could do it now. I do the pouch method every day. It even works for other packing too like working out or going to the beach. But it makes cute pouches hard for me to resist! I always have to remind myself I have more than enough because I always feel like “hey I can use that for sure”.

Marilyn August 5, 2013

Tania, you know how to travel right. Love the mask. LOL all of those would have been funny… Uggs would be great on a plane. I always bring socks. Should carry emergen “C” packets next time. Love my iPad for games and writing as it s so flat. Love your humor and sense of style….

Tania Ginoza August 7, 2013

Thanks Marilyn! Uggs are usually great because my feet get so cold but this past trip was so hot in the airports (I didn’t bring another pair of shoes like I usually do & SFO was so crowded it didn’t feel cool at all which is weird because it’s San Fran). So I was ready to throw them out the window by the time I got back to Maui. I usually do an Airborne grapefruit in a Passion iced tea from Starbucks for my immunity boost.

I haven’t see you for awhile, hope all is well.