Take a Picture…Guilty Pleasure

by Tania Ginoza on February 5, 2013 · 14 comments

Are you playing cinematographer on Vine yet? Vine is a new mobile app from Twitter with a similar concept and look to Instagram but instead of sharing photos with applied filters, you can view, like and comment on 6 second looping videos.

VineThe explore screen on Vine.

Vine’s appeal is you don’t need to shoot the same scene for the full 6 seconds. After clicking on the video camera icon at the top right, you touch your screen to film and lift up to stop. When you stop, you can focus your phone on another subject (or move your current subject) touch the screen and film some more. You can start and stop filming as many times as you’d like. There is a green bar at the top of the screen when you’re in film mode so you know how much filming time you have left.

This ability to control and cut from one scene to the next has a ton of creative potential. We can make an illustration dance, tour an art exhibit, pan back for a full shot and then move in to highlight a detail or give the illusion of movement to an animated object. My favorites Vines have been dancing Converse, stuffed animals playing spin the bottle, tours of Holly Becker’s studio (the blogger behind Decor8), a spoof of a dramatic interlude by actor Adam Goldberg and peeks at the Chinese New Year festivities on Oahu by writer Melissa Chang (@Melisssa808 on Twitter/Instagram/Vine).

The mini videos continue to loop until you move to the next one in your feed. While Instagram captures an everyday moment in time, Vine also brings us there with the familiarity of sound. The chatter at your favorite sushi bar, the roar of a dirt bike or the whir of a food processer all add to the experience.

For my first Vine, I filmed my morning ritual of making expresso. Coffee is my guilty pleasure. Stop by and say hello on Vine (MauiShopGirl). I know I’m not going to win an Oscar for my first attempt! I definitely need to play with this app more.

If you’ve joined in this week’s prompt, please add your specific post link below by the inlinkz frog. You have one week to add your link.

If you are new to our linkup and would like to join us, the guidelines are short, sweet and can be found here.

Mahalo to everyone who participated in last week’s H2O and to readers who stopped by!

Here’s a peek at prompts for the next few weeks.

2/14/13 – Love

2/20/13 – Color Me Happy

another jennifer February 6, 2013

Cute video! Coffee is definitely a guilty pleasure of mine as well.

I’ve downloaded Vine, but haven’t played with it yet. I’m trying to figure out what to do with it!

Tania Ginoza February 12, 2013

I have to admit, I had to look at what other peeps were doing. Had no clue what to Vine. Not like IG where it was so 2nd nature to me. Take shots of random stuff throughout the day, OK!

lisacng @ expandng.com February 6, 2013

The first day this app came out, EVERYONE on IG was posting a snapshot of their profile and asking ppl to follow. Rather annoying. Nevertheless, the app sounds cool & I’ll check it out and follow ya. I’ll also claim my screen name before someone else takes it. Love your morning routine. The coffee looks smooth as silk.

Tania Ginoza February 12, 2013

Follllooow meeeee, pretty please. I totally know what ya mean. I think the IG community was extra excited about this new app. Can’t wait to see some Vines from you.

lisacng @ expandng.com February 15, 2013

I’m not into video as of yet :). But sure will try to remember to follow you!

Tania Ginoza February 19, 2013

Found you! I think you could make some cool vines with J or on family field trips. It is a bit buggy now though, I’ve lost quite a few while loading but they get saved in your photos so I’ve repurposed them onto my FB page. So if you lose any, that’s where it is!

lisacng @ expandng.com February 20, 2013

Tks for the tip! And I’ll try to remember to use it :).

Marti Wukelic February 6, 2013

Are you saying that Vine is a guilty pleasure? What’s the feel guilty about? lol My guilty pleasures generally run along the lines of “do I really want to admit to other humans that I do this?”

Tania Ginoza February 12, 2013

The coffee is the guilty pleasure my dear. I suffer from GERD and caffeine is a no no so I try to stick with lower acidic coffees and through in decaf quite often. Vine, not so guilty, yet. I can still manage to stay off it for days at a time, unlike other social media.

Ann February 6, 2013

Hmm!!! This looks interesting! I am definitely checking it out!

Tania Ginoza February 12, 2013

Yay!!!

Elinor Gawel (Eli) February 7, 2013

I’m enjoying vine. I like to see what I can capture in 6 seconds. I’m not a fan of the jumping around yet. I think I need to watch more of them. Love my coffee too.

Tania Ginoza February 12, 2013

The app is a bit buggy still I think but I think it’ll get better. They may have had more traffic than expected. I still like IG better but Vine is still fun too.