Minimal Me…Linens

by Tania Ginoza on February 14, 2013 · 14 comments

I have a closet bursting with linens and still can’t find two matching king pillowcases if my life depended on it.

Indigo Maui Duvet

A few short years ago I had one set of bed linens. Post-separation, I was living in a teeny-tiny ohana with the tiniest utility closet I’ve ever seen. On laundry day, I would happily wash my linens and promptly make the bed as soon as the dryer went ding. Well folks, it appears my one set has given birth to multiples and it’s a melting pot all up in here. Various shades of purple that don’t go together, a ton of standard pillowcases and duvet covers are crammed into my big utility closet. I blame Ross’s (who can resist a cheap pack of cases on a lunch break), a misplaced confidence in my non-existent ability to mix and match linens and the linen manufacturers’ who think we all are sleeping on queen beds with two standard sized pillows (seriously, throw in a few kings y’all, we need something to hug).

I started to notice I favor duvet covers and quilts with a black and white print. My one set of black sheets is pulled out time and time again. So I invested in an extra set of black sheets (and a pack of kings). This weekend the great linen purge is scheduled to exile all to the donation bag except for black and white pieces. In the future, impulse linen purchases of random colors and lavender are strictly prohibited. Black and white is our theme and we’re sticking to it. No new purchases are allowed to grace this place until another one gives up its dance card.

What’s up with all the ado about linens? I live in an 800 square foot studio space inspired by a hotel suite so my bed is prime real estate. It’s open for any visitors to see and is in constant view of moi. I love to hang there on the weekends playing with paper, reading or watching flicks. If my boudoir looks like a mess, half the space looks like a mess.

A few linen tips and tricks:

• If you’re into b&w, you’ll love the blog Door Sixteen. Book cover designer Anna has fantastic b&w blankets and a way with interiors.
  • Speaking of blankets, I often wish I hadn’t fallen off the no duvet wagon. It is so much easier to fold and store a blanket or quilt.
  • Consider storing linens in the individual bedrooms they are intended for and save your big utility closet for other needs.
  • Stuff a sheet set into one pillowcase of the set so every piece is together.
  • Designate a minimal storage spot and determine how many sets you need (two is typically sufficient). It’s too easy to fall into the trap of continuing to add new linens without ever tossing the ones no longer needed.
  • Don’t toss that ugly zippered plastic bag the duvet comes in. It comes in handy for storing items under the bed (if you don’t ever need to do that, I applaud you).
  • If you’re not fussy about a perfectly made bed, you can make the bed while in it. Pretend like you’re making a snow angel under the covers. Slide out, straighten a little and woila!

How’s your linen closet? Are you the super organized minimal type who can make hospital corners and fold a fitted sheet like a pro or is it a big jumbled mess like mine?

The duvet cover pictured is from Indigo in Paia, a wonderful place with locally designed fair trade objects for the home and wardrobe. Topped off with an issue of W and my much loved kindle.

Jt Clough | Maui Dog Remedies February 14, 2013

Love your posts! And until I moved to Maui into all of my 450 square feet, I had the linen closet problem.

No more. 2 sets, so I have one to put on while the other is being washed. And, yes, it needs to look pretty cause it is out in the open for everyone to see.

It also needs to not show Yellow Lab hair. The Weim doesn’t shed! :)

Tania Ginoza February 19, 2013

Black would not be good for yellow lab hair! You see with me, it’s black everything – tshirts, boots, sheets and even my dogs are all black :-)

Christina February 15, 2013

I just did the purge last week! Feels so good! Wonder if it’s a therapeutic post-separation comfort thing. I had sets of all sizes from before and after moving to Hawaii and various apartments/relationships in between! It could be that I’m just a sucker for Ross deals too.
Now all separated, folded, stacked, and neatly labeled :)

Tania Ginoza February 19, 2013

It feels so great! I dropped off some very new linens at the thrift store for the women’s shelter today and felt good about it. Rather than languishing away in my closet, I hope those pieces are put to good use. My closet is looking much neater and more organized.

Shalagh Hogan February 15, 2013

Tania,
How funny since one item I added to a recent to do list was straighten the linen closet. I disagree about mixing the linens. My tan goes with my butter and lavender too. The problem I have is that the nicer the cotton, the quicker that funky body/head oil smell gets stuck in it and I’ve yet to find a way to eradicate that. Planned to write a post on that. I love your picture and I am glad that you’ve decided to do more of these posts. I feel I need to do more of the other myself. And Entire bed redress inside pillowcase good.
Love Ya’,
Shalagh

Tania Ginoza February 19, 2013

I think mixed linens look great! Just not with my bed, space and the pieces I currently have. I especially love the crazy patchwork inspired quilts at Anthropologie, great for mixing and matching.

If I decided to go back to colors, I’d do contrasting instead of trying to “match” existing pieces (like your tan and lavender).

Shalagh Hogan February 20, 2013

Sending you a picture of my very favoritest crazy quilt I bought on a birthday auction trip ten years ago. And those colors are in there.

lisacng @ expandng.com February 15, 2013

Great tip to store sets inside pillow cases to keep ‘em together! My closet is pretty organized, but only because we have 3 sets for our bedroom, 2 sets for J’s room (plus extra mattress covers/linens), and 2 fleece blankets for visitors. The large down comforters we put into the spare bedroom. Although pretty linens are tempting, I always say no. We’ll just buy when these need replacing.

Tania Ginoza February 19, 2013

I’d say you are already minimal and organized with your linens. Agreed! Just say no to all those pretty pieces until it’s time for replacing. The great thing about my b&w theme is it’s not that easy to find simple b&w linens so less tempting to me.

lisacng @ expandng.com February 20, 2013

It’s good to be picky :)

Duckie February 18, 2013

I think I’m the opposite! I need more linens! Maybe I should swing by Ross this weekend…

Tania Ginoza February 19, 2013

Happy shopping! I do love Ross, still.

kathy @ vodka and soda February 24, 2013

with 3 adults in the house, 2 of which love to cram stuff into the linen closet without any rhyme or reason, it’s quite difficult to keep the damn thing organized. i found something on pinterest on how to keep your linens organized and together (by folding all linens together and then placing the set inside the pillowcase and then storing it) which i thought was freaking brilliant. however, it never really ended up working out because then i would find balled up pillowcases with everything just stuffed inside them and it drove me crazy… still does! it’s a constant uphill battle!

Tania Ginoza February 24, 2013

Ha ha, I suck at folding linens so mine would definitely not be pretty. This is why I need to take the everything goes with everything approach. My towels are still out of control, I counted 50 bath and beach which is nutzo for two people but at least those are easier to fold.