Take A Picture…Where I Create

by Tania Ginoza on January 15, 2013 · 16 comments

Where I Create

My creative space is a corner of my 800 square foot casa. This is the first time in my adult life I’ve had my own writing desk and can attest it does make a difference.  The little space is filled with an antique granite top desk, a few tech essentials, a cork board in a gilded frame, a mini Ganesha, a floating shelf for art/photos and a few supplies. Each pen, pencil, tool and storage vessel was carefully selected to whisper create, motivate and inspire rather than shout office and finances. Hardcopy financial files are tucked away in a utility closet and only pulled out as needed. Pretty printed boxes contain paper crafting supplies. A few shelves in my long walk-in are reserved for additional storage of infrequently used tech and supplies.

I write and play with photos or graphics at this desk.  For paper crafts, I prefer my kitchen island so I can stand while folding, cutting and gluing.  Journal writing and brainstorming happens on the bed or in the outside gazebo. As a tiny abode convert this setup is ideal but in a larger home, a separate studio with a wrapping area, a long stand or sit counter height table and a wall filled with mood boards would be a dream space. A carved out bill paying nook in a kitchen, separate from crafts and writing, is another luxury large home owners can choose to have.

Where do you create?

If you’ve joined in this week’s prompt, please add your specific post link below by the inlinkz frog. You have one week to add your link.

If you are new to our linkup and would like to join in, the guidelines are here.

Mahalo to everyone who participated in last week’s Toys & Joys prompt (I thought we needed a forever young break after the busy holiday season).

Here’s a peek at prompts for the next few weeks.

1/23/13 – Up

1/30/13 – H2O

2/6/13 – Guilty Pleasure

another jennifer January 16, 2013

Looks like a great place to create! I just re-organized my home office this past weekend, so it was a great time to take a photo of my new space. I took out a small table I never used and replaced it with a taller retro bistro table that’s the perfect height for me to write on my laptop while standing. I also have my regular desk with my iMac. I stored away my ugly binders in the closet. It’s been great so far!

Tania Ginoza January 16, 2013

Oh! I can’t wait to hop over and take a look. I wanted a standing desk at my day job but I have all these built-ins so can’t bring another piece in. I’d have to build on top of what’s there but it would be awkward. So I just stand when I can (talking on the phone, going through my in tray) and take a 5 minute break every 1/2 hour.

kathy @ vodka and soda January 16, 2013

i usually create in my home office or if i’m making cards, on my dining room table because there’s more space there.

Tania Ginoza January 16, 2013

A table is better than a desk for creating things that have bits and pieces :-) Another reason I use the kitchen island, can spread everything out there.

Laurie January 16, 2013

Oh Tania that sounds and looks wonderful. I love how you describe it and sure wish I could get my act together to make something out of my den to work at. I have way too much clutter and really need to get motivated to de-clutter soon. Maybe your post will help me get in the mood!

Tania Ginoza January 16, 2013

After removing things, I’d take it slow in adding. I realize now it’s the best way. Btw, I got many things at Ross for a song. The framed cork board and all these great printed boxes for storage (I’d love more of those but the Maui Ross doesn’t have the “box aisle” like Honolulu’s did.) The boxes took time, I’d visit Ross downtown on my lunchbox and when a cute one would show up, I’d grab it. Mine don’t all match either. On my desk I have a multi level ceramic box that I store small items in, I found that randomly at a consignment store and it was listed as a jewelry box. So one little piece at a time.

lisacng @ expandng.com January 16, 2013

I love how clean and modern the space is! And great work on the crop of the photo! I will link up hopefully tomorrow!

Tania Ginoza January 16, 2013

Thanks Lisa. I had a tough time with this one. I took quite a few photos and either the lighting wasn’t right and that screen. It’s 30+ inches, huge, kept showing every fingerprint and reflection. I’m going to try to turn it on the next time to something pretty but then I’ll have to fuss with the exposure a bit. Interiors are what I want to shoot the most and my biggest challenge! Can’t wait to see your post.

lisacng @ expandng.com January 17, 2013

Oftentimes, the light doesn’t want to cooperate, or angles, but isn’t that the fun of photography? You did a magnificent job. The lighting is even and bright, and gives the space such a modernity and lightness. Really good job! If you turn your monitor on, you might not capture what’s on screen. You know, you might see the horizontal lines which is the screen refreshing slower than you camera.

Jen January 16, 2013

What a beautiful space! Just looking at it makes me want to work harder. LOL I don’t have a desk. I work/study/blog/surf the web on a small foldable table on my bed. I have a very small (oddly shaped) bedroom. If I had more room, I would LOVE a desk like yours.

Where do I create….good question. I’ve always had brilliant ideas in the shower. Of course by the time I towel off I forget them. LOL

Tania Ginoza January 20, 2013

Thanks so much Jen. I always get good ideas on the drive home but yup I forget them too.

I love to sit in the bed too and do quite a bit of reading, jotting down notes and reading there. There was this house tour or it may have been the small cool contest on apartment therapy where they had a table that could sit behind a couch but it could also fit over a bed. You pull it up when working or eating and then push it down to the end when you aren’t using it. I think it was from CB2. I couldn’t find the post but here is a similar one about an Ikea table (look for the image with red table over the bed). Wouldn’t that be great? Except maybe not in red, I’m not a red type of girl.

Jen January 21, 2013

OHMY, I want that red table. You are right, red is not a color I would want one too. I think I would like black, white, or gray. I’m leaning towards gray.

I think we should have an Ikea. We need an Ikea.

Ihilani January 17, 2013

I just love this! And perfect timing since we just got into our apartment and this is beautiful inspiration for a creative space. We still have to figure out how it’ll all fit, but I definitely want something that FEELS like this.

Tania Ginoza January 20, 2013

Aw, thanks Ihilani and I really didn’t take up too much space at all. By storing files electronically and tucking hardcopies in a closet, it has a pretty small footprint. In my teeny apartment in Honolulu, I just had a mini parsons desk from West Elm in a corner which is more like a writing desk but that served me fine with a laptop. The beauty of a writing desk was its small size as well, it was never cluttered because there was really no room for much else.