Da Humble Plumeria…

by Tania Ginoza on December 2, 2012 · 12 comments

“I don’t want to be stinky poo poo girl, I want to be happy flower child.” Drew Barrymore

The ever-present Maui plumeria trees make me a happy flower child,

in a bunch up high,

scattered on the ground

or strung in the simplest of leis.

another jennifer December 3, 2012

So pretty! I wish we had these flowers in Maine.

Tania December 3, 2012

I know a few friends who tried to grow it on the mainland. It wasn’t the same I think. The instagrammers from Australia call them frangipani, which I thought was such a beautiful name too.

Sarah P December 3, 2012

I love plumeria too – when i see still really nice flowers on the ground I always pick ‘em up and keep them in a bowl of water on our kitchen table. Love the smell!

Tania December 3, 2012

That’s a great idea Sarah, I’ll think I’ll steal it :-)

lisacng @ expandng.com December 3, 2012

They are oh so beautiful!

Tania December 3, 2012

Thanks Lisa! We don’t have a true fall here but we do have the plumeria blossoms.

Jen December 3, 2012

yes, give me a plumeria any day of the week and it will instantly make me happy! It’s so simple and cute. Great photos!

Tania December 3, 2012

Me too! I’m even happy when I see a pretty one (like the pink one) lying in the gravel on the ground. I know my friends who have moved to the mainland miss the abundant plumeria trees we enjoy here so I try to not take them for granted. Thanks Jen!

Tiffanie December 3, 2012

It’s so interesting that these look a little like they are made of Sculpey clay or something, and when I see the fake ones made of plastic I think they are real! Does it grow wild or is it a cultivated plant?

Tania December 4, 2012

There are some areas that plumeria trees are growing on their own. Many people also have a tree in their yard. They do look like clay and they are the only flowers I like in the “fake”. In Hawaii a lot of boutiques and craft fairs sell ones that you can wear tucked behind your ear and they do look so real.

Laurie December 5, 2012

I love these flowers and have a silver little ring of plumerias that I bought when we went to Kauai. Even tho it was $10.00 and bought at a little swap meet it is my favorite ring and wear it all the time.

Tania December 5, 2012

Plumeria jewelry is the best! I’m so glad you chose one while you were here.