Take a Picture…The Aftermath of Thanksgiving

by Tania Ginoza on November 28, 2012 · 22 comments

How was your Thanksgiving weekend? Mine was filled with family, ono food, beach walks and bunnies.  That’s right. You heard me, bunnies.

After eating several rounds of turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy and pumpkin crunch on Thursday and Black Friday,  I was filling a bit puffy.  So on Saturday I decided to take a long beach walk in the morning. I walked oceanside along Mokapu, Keawekapu and the Kamaole beaches.  I marveled at how beautiful the waves look as the white foam eases to shore, felt inspired by my sneak peek of a yoga class with an ocean view, was envious of the boaters prepping their vessels for the day and smiled at the dogs joyfully running through the grass.  While I walked off my indulgence, I filled up my soul.

While I walked the shore and others shopped, my mother visited the Maui Humane Society.  She felt she has time and space to offer furry friends who need a loving home.  She selected three cashmere lop bunnies (we think, after quick rabbit research courtesy of google).  There is a beautiful grey bunny with grey eyes. Then there is the black one who is still very cashmere-like but the ears aren’t quite as floppy as the other two.  Finally, there’s this one who is tan on top, silvery on bottom and touches of black and grey here and there. All three are too cute for words with their big hind feet, abundance of soft fur and constantly wiggling noses. I felt like I was in elementary school again because I couldn’t stop playing with the bunnies.

If you’ve joined in this week’s prompt, please add your specific post link below by the inlinkz frog.  You have one week to add your link.

If you are new to our linkup and would like to join in, the guidelines are here.

Mahalo to everyone who participated in last week’s red link up.  I confess I’m not really a red person as far as colors go but it was definitely fun to see the “red” in everyone’s lives.

Next week’s prompt is:

Black & White

You can take this prompt and run with it literally by shooting black and white objects or changing your shots to monochrome during editing.  I recommend iPiccy as a free online photo editing and effects resource.  You could also apply the prompt in a less literal way, as in “there is no black and white solution to that issue”.

geraldine November 28, 2012

Hi Tania, lovely to meet you. Thanksgiving sounded fun and what an amazing beach to stroll down. gorgeous photography too. Have a lovely week and keep in touch. :) x

Tania December 3, 2012

Nice to meet you too Geraldine and thanks for swinging by.

annewoodman November 28, 2012

You had me at “bunnies!” I had bunnies as pets while I was growing up. And I had one when I was a young, single girl, living alone. They are the sweetest, cuddliest, funniest little creatures. I love your mom’s bunny’s ears! So cute. Thanks for sharing.

Tania December 3, 2012

I had a bunny too in my late teens, when I was in college. His name was Ogie.

The ears are great, right? It’s hard to be in a bad mood looking at those ears.

Shalagh Hogan November 28, 2012

That beach shot is really nice Tania. And I love that the fuzzy bunnies revived the kid in you. So sweet. (Have you considered hiring yourself out for product shooting?)

Tania December 3, 2012

Thanks Shalagh! I would love to do product shooting but I still have a lot to learn about lighting. Inside homes/shops are still a challenge for me to shoot but I’m getting there.

another jennifer November 28, 2012

Such a cute bunny! And that walk looks like a great way to end the Thanksgiving festivities.

I posted a pic of my little birthday boy today, so I didn’t participate in the prompt this week. Love next week’s though!

Tania December 3, 2012

I can see you doing the b&w for sure. Happy birthday to your little one!

lisacng @ expandng.com November 28, 2012

I love the shadows on that first photo, hovering over the ocean side (great leading lines). Soft colors of the beach and sky too! And the ppl on the right add interest too! That bunny is too too cute! Which one(s) did your mom take home? Or was she just looking?

Tania December 3, 2012

Thanks! That’s the shadow of the coconut tress (or palms, I’m never quite sure). I love shadows in pictures.

We have all three bunnies, Sumo, Eli and man…I always forget the thirds one’s name.

Courtney - Maui Jungalow November 28, 2012

Bunnies! What a great way to celebrate Thanksgiving. I didn’t know the Humane Society had bunnies too.

Tania December 3, 2012

They had guinea pigs too. I’m thinking maybe they take almost all “pet” animals? I think my mom has gotten a turtle from there too in an earlier year.

martiwrites November 28, 2012

“While I walked off my indulgence, I filled up my soul.” is possibly the best sentence I’ve read in ages. Love that.

Tania December 3, 2012

Aww thanks Marti, you made my day.

Jen November 28, 2012

Beautiful beach shot! Ya, I was feeling a little…puffy too. I went on a hike after Thanksgiving. Man, what a bad idea. LOL I had to stop so much times, it was embarrassing.

I have a hard time going to HHS, because the last time I did, I brought home a dog. I just can’t say no. I even wanted to take home this pot belly pig that HHS had randomly. Who can say no to a cute pig?!?

Tania December 3, 2012

Oh Jen if I went on a hike, I’d have to stop too. I feel ya. I used to do Diamond Head before but I don’t think I could at this current time.

I used to visit HHS and spend time in the cat house, give the cats a little love and attention. At that time I lived in an apartment so couldn’t have pets so it guaranteed I didn’t head home with a new member of the family. The dogs are actually the hardest for me. The cats are kind of like “whatever lady” but the dogs look at you and are almost pleading with their eyes “take me home, I’ll be a good dog, I promise’. It does break my heart.

Tiffanie December 3, 2012

Oh my goodness. Stella would die to get her hands on even one of those for a few minutes. How adorable! Lucky you (and your mom)!

What is pumpkin crunch? Sounds so good!

Tania December 4, 2012

Pumpkin crunch is like a cake and a pie together (don’t mind me, not much of a baker). In the bottom of the pan you put cake mix, nuts and some other stuff. On the top is mainly pumpkin. Tastes great with whipped cream. I’ll see if I still have my dad’s recipe lying around or send you one from one of my local cookbooks.

Your kids would love our house. We have a bunch of turtles too.

Elinor Gawel (Eli) December 4, 2012

We walked the beach too, but I do most days. What cute bunnies. I had a roommate that had a bunny, Nigel. He was litter trained, so we could let him roam the house like a cat. He got underfoot a lot though.

Tania December 4, 2012

We’ve figured out that one of the bunnies, Sumo, is also litter trained. We suspect he never lived with other bunnies, just humans. He’s too aggressive to the other ones but yes, he’ll be underfoot as he tries to follow us, likes to be held and goes shi shi in just one spot.