Take a Picture…From An Ant’s View

by Tania Ginoza on November 6, 2012 · 12 comments

I took this shot during a summer macro photography class with Aubrey Hord at the Hui.  I love it because it’s so simple but also because it makes me smile. I will never forget Aubrey running up to me with this teeny tiny thing and saying “shoot this!”. Most people wouldn’t notice something that fell off a plant and was smaller than a push pin but Aubrey saw its macro potential.  I spent the next fifteen minutes shooting my new subject from different angles, on the concrete, a tree stump and nestled in the grass. I took this shot lying on the ground, from an ant’s view.

If you’ve joined in this week’s prompt, please add your specific post link below by the inlinkz frog.  You have one week to add your link.

If you are new to our linkup and would like to join in, the guidelines are here.

Mahalo to everyone who participated in last week’s link up for eerie beauty.  I enjoyed all of your posts immensely.  It was interesting to see how different each interpretation was.  Laurie of Have Teacup Will Travel did a great shot with vintage appeal, Lisa of Expandng fooled me with a clever illusion, Another Jennifer had the best Halloween scene, Ihilani of SoPupuka turned a cute shot into something more eerie with post editing, Courtney of Maui Jungalow gave us a peek into a gecko’s nightlife and Eli of Maui Qigong showed us a different side of Lanai.   I encourage all of you to check out last week’s posts if you haven’t done so yet.

Next week’s prompt is:

Home is where the ______ is!

Jen November 6, 2012

Whoa…that is so cool. I love the macro setting, but I never zoomed in that much before. Those Hui classes are so much fun, I wish I could go to them. I don’t think we have anything similar (or do we) in O’ahu. If there was, I would be right there. Well, I gotta buy the camera first. I’ve been kinda dragging my feet on that one.

Courtney - Maui Jungalow November 9, 2012

You do have the Academy of Arts in Honolulu – great art classes and the community colleges often have classes too, so does the UH Manoa Extension/Outreach Dept. I took a basic photography class there, although these days just like to point and shoot!

Tania November 12, 2012

Yes Courtney is right! The Academy of Arts is wonderful and a great historic setting too. I took a metal working class there. Metal working is not for me (too wimpy to cut and use a torch) but it was an inspiring learning environment (classes are in the buildings by the park across the street from the main building).

Also check out the adult education classes. I used to get a flyer maybe twice a year. They usually have all different types of topics, my sister and I did Japanese cooking one year. Very affordable too.

Community college is another option, we have adult education classes here at night including photography. I did prefer the Hui though because of the smaller class size. The Maui College instructor is quite well known and the class was on Saturday so it was packed.

lisacng @ expandng.com November 7, 2012

Tks for highlighting all of your eerie submissions! And great depth of field with your “ant’s view” shot! The seed (?) is in focus but the back and foreground are all blurred out. Could it be sand, concrete (like you said), a mystery! Great job. Glad you’re having fun with your new lens. Hope to link up next week. What a sweet prompt. You know my photo will feature J ;).

another jennifer November 7, 2012

Very cool picture. Hard to believe your subject is smaller than a push pin!

Loved this prompt. I took a photo on my iPhone from the sidelines of my son’s indoor soccer practice.

Laine Griffin November 8, 2012

Oh my gosh, I LOVE this!! I might have to link up next week! :)

Laurie November 8, 2012

Tania, Love the photo! It looks like a definite piece of art that could go on any wall. Love it! Laurie

Ann November 9, 2012

That is so cute and inspiring! I just love it!!! I will be back in a few minutes with my entry : )

Tania November 12, 2012

Thanks everyone for the kind words! I’m a bit behind on hopping but will get to it on my lunch break.

Tiffanie November 14, 2012

Wow, that is really cool, Tania. You were so smart (and lucky!) to take photography classes. I need to get around to it, I have maxed out my abilities with my camera and I’m sure I’m missing so much of what it is capable of doing. I also want to invest in a great lens or two in the future.