Hue…

by Tania Ginoza on November 10, 2012 · 19 comments

A huge mahalo to designers, Jessica Guard McLellan and Wendy Takemoto, for bringing their modern aesthetic to the Valley Isle with the opening of Hue…

Photo by Kristy Copperfield Photography

Hue is an interior design studio and home boutique that features furnishings and home accessories in a feel they refer to as “beach luxe”.  This blogger is inclined to agree and loves Hue’s mix of color, natural textures and fun prints for our Maui island lifestyle.

Pillows, rugs, coffee table books, candles and jewelry round out the well-edited selection of objects for gifts and home.  Hue will also be featuring local artists, a children’s furniture line and custom pieces.

I’m pleased to discover that quite a few of my favorites lines are offered, including Trina Turk and Thomas Paul, in addition to new discoveries like Surya rugs and jewelry from Viv & Ingrid.

Fabrics, window treatments and other custom offerings are also available on site so clients can see and feel the texture as they make their selections.

Photo by Kristy Copperfield Photography

Jessica and Wendy also offer interior design services including residential and commercial interior design, space planning, furniture sourcing, window treatment design and installation, kitchen and bath design, architectural computer renderings, custom upholstery, designer fabric selections and much more.  Both designers bring experience and a fresh approach to design to Maui.  Modern Luxury Hawaii has recognized Jessica for her efforts towards promoting the movement towards sustainable design while Wendy has been recognized in Hawaiian Style Magazine, the Honolulu Star Bulletin and I’m Home.

Happy couples can also register for the perfect pieces to carry over their threshold or interior design services to fit out their homes.

Both owners come from families with a long history in the retail business.  John and Susan Guard, the owners of The Pet Shop, are Jessica’s parents. Wendy’s great-grandfather started an antique business on Oahu which grew into a large furniture business run by her grandfather, James Sur, during the 40s through the 70s.  Jessica and Wendy enjoy seeing both familiar and new faces at Hue and they hope to create a loyal customer base by providing good value and outstanding service.

Hue is celebrating their grand opening with 20% off of custom orders during the month of November, 2012.  On November 23rd and 24th, 2012, Hue will ring in the holiday season with 25% off storewide, excluding fine art.

At the writing of this post, Hue’s store hours are 9AM to 5PM, Monday through Friday and 10 AM to 3PM on Saturday.

Hue is located at 261 Lalo Street in Kahului and their phone number is 808-873-6910.  Follow them on Facebook for updates and on Pinterest for a peek at their current inspiration.

Products featured above include chalkboard candles and the Rosanna tote.  All images provided by Hue.

Chris November 10, 2012

It’s about time we got a good furniture store on this island! So tired of looking through used resort stuff. Expect to see me soon. MAHALO!

Tania November 12, 2012

Ditto, the rattan with tropical print is so not me. When I first moved I had to pay quite a bit to ship 2 additional bar stools because everything on island pretty much didn’t go well with my existing pieces, a bit too much dark brown and very heavy looking.

Jen November 11, 2012

What a cute store! I love design stores that are staged like a living room. It makes me think about my own and figure out what key pieces will be good in my living room.

Man…I wish I was in Maui during the awesome sale. I would totally buy that starfish pillow. OMYGAWD, too cute!

Elinor Gawel (Eli) November 11, 2012

Looks like I might be able to find some wedding presents here. Their style is very popular in my family and with me.

Tania November 12, 2012

Chris and Eli, you may also enjoy Nest and Sandi Wickersham’s style. She’s located right at the beginning of Piilani Highway. I don’t know her current hours though. Here’s a piece I wrote in the earlier days of my blog.

Jen, have you been to Soha in Kahala Mall? I think you would like their home accessories there. Hands down, one of my favorite shops on Oahu.

Courtney - Maui Jungalow November 12, 2012

Nice post Tania. They have a refreshing style. Looks like your blog template is also being updated.

Tania November 13, 2012

Thanks Courtney and yes, I redid my layout. I kind of just threw up Thesis last year and didn’t design anything. This time I removed and once I started removing things, it was hard to stop. It is much more my personality now.

Anna Kim Photography November 13, 2012

YAY!!! It’s about time that Maui has a beautiful furniture store!

Tania November 13, 2012

Great tip for your wedding clients too Anna for registry items.

lisacng @ expandng.com November 13, 2012

What a cute duo and pretty shop! Definitely a “i want everything” kind of place!

Tania November 13, 2012

Ditto…I’m pretty sure my next couch will be from there, which may not be too long from now since the one I bought last year is freakin falling apart :-(

Syl November 14, 2012

Looks like a great store. Christmas is coming, so just might have to swing by soon for Christmas gift shopping. We’re looking for a furniture store that has contemporary, rather than Island. Need a sleek, hip leather sectional. Hard to find here on Maui.

Tania November 14, 2012

I’m definitely picking up some gifts there. I hear you about the sectional. That is exactly what I was looking for last year. Settled for a bonded leather which wasn’t as comfy as my previous leather and now the “leather” is already peeling off.

Btw, Inspiration on Oahu has semi annual floor clearance sales, I got a great couch there one year. They won’t ship it for you though, you’d have to rent a G Cube on Matson/Young Brothers and barge it back. (I think they should ship, they could do some neighbor island business I’m sure.)

Roxanne Darling November 16, 2012

I cannot wait to go see this store! Maybe they will be interested in carrying some of Shane’s art too. :-)

Tania – I have been able to get INspiration to ship here to Maui! LMK if I can make any introductions. The trouble is picking it up here – you are on your own at the shipyard.

Tania November 19, 2012

Wow Rox, that’s great. I did approach Inspiration a few years ago when I needed to increase my counter stools from two to four and couldn’t find anything here to go with the ones I already had (I ended up ordering from AllModern but paid quite a bit of shipping).

I may need a new couch next year (mine is falling apart) so we’ll see, I’m hoping Hue may be able to fill the gap and have options that go with the rest of my things. I love Shane’s art, you all should definitely approach.

Elicia Pyle December 23, 2013

I will hopefully come visit your store soon when we come visit Maui this summer! It looks like so much fun! Good job!