Ten things I love about Maui…

by Tania Ginoza on October 28, 2012 · 20 comments

• My mom and dad are here.
  • My friends from hanabata days through my crazy teen years live here or still have ties to Maui and come home to visit.  We all make new friends as we make our way through life but there is nothing that compares to someone who knew you way back when and still loves you today.
  • You can clearly see the stars and moon at night.
  • Slippas are perfectly acceptable footwear for most pau hana or weekend activities, including a nice meal out.
  • Seeing gorgeous blue sky and puffy white clouds or beautiful mountains above acres of agricultural or open land with very few tall buildings getting in the way of the view.
  • Upcountry road trips to spend time with family and friends with its mist, cool air, green landscapes and gorgeous view.
  • Weekend mornings watching the humpbacks flap their massive tails or leap with abandon.  Seeing a whale breach is addictive, you can never get enough.
  • Jumping in or gazing at the ocean and spotting a honu swimming by or peeking its head out of the water.
  • Living a simpler life.
  • In the late afternoon and early evening, many people gather together with loved ones on their patios, in their backyards or at the beach to watch the beautiful sunset. Maui’s sunsets are truly spectacular.

Glossary for my lovely mainland and international readers:

Hanabata days = when we were children.  Hana is Japanese for nose and bata is pidgin English for butter. Growing up, we called the stuff that comes out of your runny nose hanabata (snot! sorry for that visual).  As children often have runny noses and no tissues while playing, we refer to our childhood time as hanabata days.

Slippas = rubber flip flops.

Pau hana = after work.

Honu = the Hawaiian green sea turtle.  If you do visit Hawaii and see a Hawaiian green sea turtle, please be advised the Honu is a protected species and should be treated with respect and Aloha.  Observe the turtle from a distance only. Do not attempt to touch it, feed it or play with it.

The above pau hana sunset pic was taken in Kihei at Kalepolepo Park using my iPhone.

What are some of your Maui loves?

Elinor Gawel (Eli) October 28, 2012

I love the crater at Haleakala, best at sunrise but anytime is really great. Being by or in the ocean regularly is pretty nice.

Tania October 29, 2012

I do too and I haven’t been there since I returned. Making a note now…to do.

I agree being able to submerge in the ocean at any time is key and I haven’t done that much lately too. I’ve been so busy this post was partially meant as a reminder to myself.

Chris Kompst October 28, 2012

You’re right, friends may leave, but they always come back to Maui.

Tania October 29, 2012

I have just one friend who doesn’t make it back because her family relocated back to Oahu after her father retired and she now lives in Seattle. But the next time she returns to Honolulu I will make it a point to fly up and see her even if I can only go for the day. Or I’ve always wanted to go to Seattle. I need to bring Maui to her.

But it is so nice to be here when people do return.

Sarah P October 29, 2012

I’m so excited for whale season! We may be heading back over to Maui since y’all have better watching spots than we do!

Tania October 30, 2012

Right now it’s a bit early in season but when you get to maybe February you see so much. I don’t go out on boats so much, I prefer to view from shore. It bothers me a bit the number of boats out on the water for whale watching.

Taylor @ Goings on in Texas October 29, 2012

Oh, I so love you for giving me a glossary at the end of this!! :) Thanks, girly!!
And I so wish to experience Maui some day!!!

Tania October 30, 2012

That would be so awesome to meet you one day in real life :-)

Laurie October 30, 2012

Your post paints such a picture! Definitely inviting!!

Tania October 30, 2012

I can’t wait until you can visit!

Laurie October 30, 2012

Oh and I love the glossary. Slippas in Arizona would be slippers for bed, so I was thinking wow it’s really casual on Maui!

Tania October 30, 2012

We don’t even wear house slippers here much ;-) I do wear slippas in the house (a clean pair) because my feet go sore on the hardwood plus Kihei is dusty. Even though I try to clean regularly my feet would get dirty and I don’t want dirty feet in the bed. Most people are barefoot inside.

lisacng @ expandng.com October 31, 2012

Seeing the stars at night — lovely. “Slippas” — love it. I don’t wear flip-flops a lot anymore (what I call them). And how amazing would it be to see humpback whales outside your window! I love that you said “simpler” life. We just make things hard, don’t we?

Tania October 31, 2012

Slippas are a necessity here, it really is the most practical beach shoe. Haviana’s from Brazil are my favorite (nice looking and comfy too).

It is much easier to live a simpler life in many ways because I no longer work in a business attire environment and also because I personally have gone through some changes.

Anthony Spence November 1, 2012

Hey Tania,

I really enjoyed your article..

Courtney - Maui Jungalow November 3, 2012

I love the nature here, the lush landscapes and amazing plants… how one can go from dry desert Kihei to cool moist Haiku and high Kula with panoramic views. And there are great beaches here.

Tania November 3, 2012

I love how we can see and do such different things in such a short area on all the islands :-) Honolulu too…hike the bamboo forest on the Manoa trail system, watch the sunset by the Natatorium, buy Jo Malone perfume at Ala Moana, eat honey toast at Shokudo and then go dancing in downtown or play tennis at Kapiolani Park until midnight.

Lucky we live Hawaii yeah?

Tiffanie November 14, 2012

What a wonderful place, just beautiful. I can’t remember my favorite part of Maui, it was all so magical to me having never been there before. We are both blessed to be living in wonderful places that people from all over the world travel to see, but we experience them as our every day life. It’s a special spot to be in.

Hanabata. I might try to appropriate that one in our household. It sounds nicer than the alternatives, at least to me!

Tania November 15, 2012

You need to come again (& I need to come to SF!) Do they have any good blogging events there?