Just another photo challenge…Old

by Tania Ginoza on October 16, 2012 · 12 comments

This week’s challenge was to shoot something old.  You could shoot something aged, well loved, with decay or rust or with a bit of history. I decided to go the industrial route using my vintage camera app on my iphone.

This old piece of equipment stands in front of the Alexander & Baldwin Sugar Museum in Puunene.  The museum is open to the public and contains a piece of Hawaii history and insight into the early days of plantation life.  Maps, tools and household objects share the space with informational exhibits on how cane is processed into sugar.   Many Maui residents are descendants of immigrants who moved to Hawaii to work on the sugar plantations and have multiple generations that have worked or continue to work in the agricultural industry.  Hawaii is known as the melting pot of the Pacific and quite a few ethnic groups got their start in the islands in plantation communities.

For more history and photos of plantation life, you can attend the Lahaina Restoration Society’s annual event, Lahaina Plantation Days, held this weekend, under the old Pioneer Mill smokestack on the west side of Maui.  Live music and a variety of food booths make this event good fun for the entire ohana.

I attended this event last year with my father who grew up in the Puukolii camp in Lahaina.  We read the history of the labor strikes, reminisced about an old family friend at the display of his ham radio collection (Mr. Yano) and ate some ono food.  We also found our family’s home on the maps (each home on the map is marked with the family’s name who lived there) and found that the Ginoza home was just a few houses away from the obake house!  Obake is Japanese for a preternatural being but often used for ghost in Hawaii.  I posted the picture of the map on facebook and immediately got a response from other friends who wanted to know if I had seen their families homes on the maps.  Dad explained many things to me at the event as all the objects and pictures brought up memories and opportunities to educate me on how different his young life was from mine.  Throughout the years, I’ve always felt a sense of humility and gratitude for how hard my grandparents worked to provide more opportunities, including education, for their children.  That night I spent with dad reinforced my appreciation for my grandmother and the grandfather I never knew.

You can read about my family’s plantation days (one of my most read posts!) with many old pictures here or you can read and see pics from last year’s event here.

Now that I’ve made myself a wee bit emotional, let’s link up!  You have one week to add your link to your “old” post below.

Next week’s prompt is…

Pretty in Pink

I’ve decided to put the the very flexible easy peasy rules for the photo challenge on its own page.  Click here if you’d like to join in!

another jennifer October 17, 2012

How fun! I love learning about history, especially as it relates to my ancestors. Great pic and prompt!

Tania October 17, 2012

I love it too. I wish I had more time to research and interview more people. That would be a great blog in itself.

lisacng @ expandng.com October 17, 2012

Love the vintage feel of the photo and what a great story to go with it! Glad you learned more about your family and appreciate them even more. I’m still struggling what to snap for my “old” photo. Love next week’s challenge in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness month (?)

Tania October 17, 2012

It wasn’t on purpose but now that you mention it, I should include it in my post next week. I know a few survivors and awareness is so important.

Jen October 17, 2012

Interesting! I love the filter that you used on your photos. It gives it a vintage look to it. I’m always amazed on the photo quality on an iPhone. It’s amazing, if you ask me. Old machines has always fascinated me. It’s like time stand still every time you look at an old machine.

OMG, you lived by an Obake house? Scary!!! I love scary stories! My house is on the direct path of King Kamehameha’s Pali war. Once in a great while, things will move. We don’t mind nor pay much attention to it. We try to respect the history and just let it happen. it doesn’t happen too often. I think the last time that happened was less than 10 years ago. It’s quite creepy to some, but it’s just home to me. LOL

Tania October 17, 2012

Actually my daddy lived there. By the time I arrived on Maui, the family had moved off of the plantation. Too funny, when I saw that I asked dad, “did anyone live there?!” and he said yeah but no Japanese families.

Oh wow, I have some other friends too that things happen in their homes. It’s not always bad or scary.

I agree the iphone cameras are getting better and better. I wish we could have taken pics so easily when I was younger, I would have so much old pics. The whole getting film developed never appealed to me!

Larissa T. October 19, 2012

Aw man, this week we visited a store that just opened here in Abby, it sells wool and offers classes on spinning wool and crocheting etc., anyways they had this huge machine for.. um.. doing something with wool, and I do believe it’s ancient. But I completely forgot to take a picture! Can’t believe I missed it!

Love that you’ve been able to trace your family and have such a rich family history! That is such a treasure.

Tania October 23, 2012

Oh! I would love to visit that store. I find how they make and design textiles so interesting. I think they have a place in NYC too where you can take classes and use the workspace. You are so lucky!

I’m likely to do another prompt that a pic of that will fit one day since I like tools, vintage, textiles etc. Next time you’re in take a shot and just save it.

Mahalo for the kind words abou the family.

Courtney - Maui Jungalow October 20, 2012

Tania, that’s great that you got to hear some family history and that your dad was so willing to share. One of my big regrets is not knowing my mom’s stories from her past especially her time in the military. These were stories she told a lot when I was too young to be interested or pay attention and as I got older, she was less interested in talking about the past. When we visited my husband’s mom, it was also difficult to ask her to share about her childhood and past, but we did get some gems and insight in to family dynamics. People’s stories are gifts – I encourage you to keep exploring. PS. the Haiku Ho’olaulea has an exhibit from the old plantation days too. The obake house is interesting too – just heard Kathy “Tita” Collins tell an obake ghost story recently.

Tania October 23, 2012

One thing about dad is he gets fascinated by the ordinary day to day things like I do so he doesn’t feel so shame talking about it at length. I think sometimes people get embarrassed to talk about their past so much thinking no one will be interested. How people live, then and now is always of interest to me. I think it’s why I get so interested in homes and design too because it is an extension of how people live.

Thank you for the tip on Haiku! I haven’t seen it.

On Oahu, Glen Grant used to do an obake tour but since he’s passed away I’m not sure if anyone has taken it over. The books he wrote on obake tales are quite good too although some of them, particularly the one about the dog spirit possession, scared the crap outta me!