Obsessed with Stripes…

by Tania Ginoza on March 20, 2012 · 8 comments

Did you know today is the first day of spring?  Many think of florals when spring comes to mind, I think of classic pieces with a hint of preppy or nautical.

I’ve been obsessing over one of the most classic pieces lately, the striped top.  I love the look of a clean lined striped shirt with an easy and relaxed fit…

Have you checked out the Soft Joie line?  It’s filled with super soft and luxurious pieces like this comfy cropped 3/4 length sleeve Emma sweatshirt with grey and cream stripes. The perfect lightweight cover up for Spring.

I recently tried on and loved the striped Ts by French company Saint James at one of my favorite Paia boutiques, Imrie. This white with black stripes version from Blue Heaven Boutique is now on my wish list.  I love it with beat-up denim and a distressed brown belt.

Stylemint always has striped pieces in its collection and has made one of their most popular Ts, the Broadway, into a dress, perfect with flat metallic sandals for day or ankle booties for a night out.

Demy Lee’s oatmeal and navy swing T from Revolve Clothing is perfect for the weekend with shorts and a mix of bangles and wrap bracelets.

All images via merchants online shop.

For a long time, I assumed I couldn’t pull off anything striped because I’m short and curvy but I’ve since changed my mind. The key is to look for a relaxed fit with a nice drape.  Striped dresses and Ts also look great layered, under a blazer, cargo jacket or cardigan.

Ihilani March 20, 2012

Oooh I’ve been loving me some stripes lately too! I love a wide stripe. A few days ago I saw my aunty wearing a simple lavender and cream striped shirt and it looked adorable. I was never a stripe person growing up but I really love them now.

Tania March 20, 2012

Me too! Solids for years but I wore a striped shirt this weekend, denim shorts and leopard flats. The brown belt tied everything in, I thought it was much more interesting.

Lisa March 20, 2012

Stripes are very parisian chic!!! I love them too. But my husband always calls me a sailor in them. He’s so picky! He hates polka dots too. So weird.

Tania March 20, 2012

That’s why I don’t listen to detractors when it comes to style…I have different ideas and sometimes they can’t envision what you can or are just too conservative. Better to wear what you like and a few people don’t like it, other people will appreciate it and if it makes you happy, that’s the more important thing.

Tiffanie March 20, 2012

I definitely don’t buy the “no stripes” for curvy folk thing. I think these would look great on you, and I LOVE the Soft Joie grey top. Our family is a big stripy family. I’m wearing a ten dollar Forever 21 turquoise and black stretch pencil skirt and an old H & M white and black sweater right now as we speak. No joke, it’s laundry day!

Tania March 20, 2012

I really want the Joie, I’d get a ton of use out of that. If I don’t go out for the day I’m in boxers and a tank top all day so I think your outfit sounds pretty fancy :-) I have a striped maxi dress you’d probably love, it’s lavender and black, very bold stripes and they go in different directions, on the side by the hips stripes are parallel while in the front and back horizontal.

Jen March 20, 2012

I like the stripped look too. Unfortunately, I’m not the right shape to wear strips. It makes me so HUGE. LOL I’m going to try your tip, tho. I’ll buy some relaxed pants. I’m a tight skinny jeans type of person, which made my overall look (with the striped shirt) like a sausage. LOL

Tania March 20, 2012

I love skinny jeans too but have grown out of mine…for now. Totally know what you mean. I like to wear stripes with a boyfriend cut or with a bootcut (loose top tucked in a little in the front with a belt).