My mellow Maui weekend…

by Tania Ginoza on January 30, 2012 · 12 comments

Well…I’m still sick, apparently my flu turned into a sinus infection. So, although I’m feeling much better, I’m still feeling the fatigue and have a very chesty cough.  So, I decided to skip the Maui Motocross Association picnic, the Buy Back the Beach event and a baby shower up country for the BF’s sis, Sandi.  Started a round of antibiotics, got some rest and cleaned my shelter (all the dust was killing me, one sinus at a time).  I still found time for a little fun, albeit very relaxing and mellow fun (the best kine, in my opinion).

Except for a quick trip to the doctor’s office, I spent my entire Saturday at the casa. But no worries, I wasn’t lonely. Da girlies from next door came over to visit.  They are the best kind of company, very social (lots of hugs and kisses) and they no scared make themselves at home.

Realizing what a beautiful day I missed on Saturday and waking up feeling very congested, I decided to drive down the hill to Wailea Beach on Sunday morning. Anyone who grew up in Hawaii will tell you their dad or grandpa always took them to the beach for a little vitamin D and sea to cure what ails them (congestion wise…if you have a fever, stay home please).  As long as I was planning on lying around, I figured I might as well clear the sinuses with some fresh air.  It was a beautiful day, not too windy and I always enjoy seeing families having fun in the sun…visitors and locals.

After da beach, it was time to replenish the kitchen coffers.  I went to my favorite Kihei grocery and health food store, Hawaiian Moons. They have a great selection of local and organic veggies including some beautiful curly kale.  Their tea selection is one of the best, many choices from Yogi, Pukka or Tazo.  I also picked up a kombucha, some goat cheese from Kula’s Surfing Goat Dairy and boxed organic soups.  Then it was on to Safeway’s pharmacy plus a few other fridge and pantry essentials.  I also searched for juice, something aloe based (did you know it’s good for chronic reflux too?) and found Appeal by Alo made with aloe, pomelo (jabong) and grapefruit juice. It was delicious, with jabong pulp floating in it, I was in heaven.

How was your weekend?

Laine January 30, 2012

My weekend was pretty good, thanks for asking!
Seriously, though, sorry you are still sick! I hope you are feeling better soon.

Tania January 30, 2012

Thanks Laine, if the antibiotics don’t take care of it within a few days, I’ll head back to the dr.

Suzanne January 30, 2012

Sounds like a lovely weekend. It’s good that you take care of yourself. Hope you feel better soon!

Tania January 30, 2012

Thanks! I actually don’t mind staying at home too much, am a homebody anyway.

Ann January 30, 2012

My daughter is sick too – we just went to the doc today – antibiotics for her too. Hope you feel better and looks like you know what you are doing with all that yummy healthy food!

Tania January 30, 2012

Hope she gets better soon!

Lauren January 30, 2012

Oh no! Not you too! We had colds here as well, all three of us and lounged around on the sofa watching old tv shows all day. Not warm enough for the beach here, but soon enough it will be. Feel better!

Tania January 30, 2012

Thanks Lauren, I hope you all feel better soon too.

Jen January 30, 2012

Man, I hate getting sick. I hope you get better fast!

Considering that you are sick, you got a lot of things done during the weekend. I’ve always thought the beach is the perfect medicine for a cold. The hot sand mixed with the salty water, always makes me feel better.

Tania January 30, 2012

Thanks Jen, me too! I’m tired of being sick already. I missed so much good stuff that was going on around town (amazing I have anything to blog about :-) )

Tiffanie January 30, 2012

I hope you’re feeling better! February is here (almost) and you’ll get all better and go make up for lost time….all these cancelled events!

I didn’t realize you could buy the aloe juice in a bottle, mixed with other yummy juices. I think I’ve seen that bottle somewhere, I’m going to give it a try.

Hang in there, Tania! xo

Tania January 31, 2012

It was yummy Tiff, jabong is one of my fav fruits and you can’t really buy it, need to know someone with a tree.

I was looking more for full aloe juice (they sell it in the pharm section normally, cvs has it for sure). I have chronic reflux so it’s good to drink it daily.

But I was happy to find a fun version too.